Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Dell XPS M1730 - Review (part 1)

I recently has to replace my old laptop (a Dell Inspiron 9400; a.k.a. Inspiron E1705).

It was a fine machine and served me well for just over 2 years. But last week all the smoke leaked out through a hole in the video card and it stopped working.

I'm a programmer, but I do quite a lot of my work outside the office. So rather than muck about trying to keep a home and work desktop both setup with identical development environments, I prefer a beefy laptop instead.

I don't travel professionally though, so things like weight and space haven't been all that important to me.  Instead, I want as much power as I can get in my laptop, and so I've always tended to buy very high end systems (usually in the $3000 - $4000 price range).

In researching a replacement for my old system, I became a victim of timing.

Currently it's very hard to get a non-gaming laptop that has any serious muscle. True, there are a few good high-end business and personal laptops, but right now the number of options is small, and all of the systems topped out just shy of where I wanted them to be.

So for the first time, I started looking seriously towards gaming laptops.
I always "look" at gaming laptops of course. I got my start in the industry building custom PCs, and I've always been a bit of a hardware enthusiast at heart. But this was the first time I could seriously consider a gaming laptop as a viable option.

Anyway... I ended up choosing an XPS M1730.

When I was looking for practical reviews about the M1730, I noticed that there weren't many well researched reviews out there, and the few I could find concentrated exclusively on the pure gaming aspects. The reviews totally glossed over most of the really important questions that I had about the viability of a gaming laptop for other uses.

There is also a lot of misinformation out there about gaming laptops in general, and the M1730 reviewers seemed too lazy to investigate and tell you which were true and which were not.

So, I've decided to post a series of mini-reviews about the M1730 from the perspective of a programmer and power user. I'll be covering the more mundane, but very important things that aren't being covered in the mainstream reviews.


No comments:

Post a Comment